Thursday, September 07, 2006

Things that I am grateful for:

Potty training is no longer a debaucle. We go when we need to go. Though is always seems to me that we wait a little too long to go, but any hint of a suggestion from me prompts a quick and LOUD 'NO' so I steer clear and let him figure it out. So far so good. No accidents and dry 3 nights in a row. I am grateful that for the very first time in 5 years I have not bought diapers at the grocery store.

Taking a vacation with my family. This year we went in style and rented a huge 5 bedroom house with a pool and hot tub. The kids loved the water and I loved hanging out with everyone. We determined that next year we will go longer and do more activities. So much more fun when your family is normal and enjoys hanging out together. We all have our own quirks that we laugh about or our own child that likes to have total meltdowns over nothing, but it didn't ruin the spirit of the trip.

I am grateful that twice a week both my kids are in school for a couple of hours at the same time. I still haven't gotten to just do something random like watch the View in my pjs with a cup of hot coffee, but at least I know I could if I wanted to. I, however, do have to spend the remaining afternoons with my son CARRYING him everywhere. We were grown for a little while and could walk everywhere. But we suddenly become very clingy after school lets out.

I am grateful that I have read the strong-willed child book and currently have the Supernanny book from the library. I'm not so sure that I will give that one back. The strong-willed child book helped me work through a 30 minute full-out preschooler tantrum yesterday and I didn't scream back one single time. I still don't understand how it started over, 'let's get dressed and go out and play'. That sentence seems to stir up fun times to me.

I am grateful to have a friend like Jen. We spent yesterday afternoon mapping out our fall tv schedule over a glass or 2 of wine. Today we pretty much spent the day alternating yelling at our kids but at least we were together.

I am grateful to my mom who brought me 2 bean burritos tonight for dinner because my mouth is still hurting from all the previous dental work.

I am grateful for my husband because he is my husband and I feel like I have to say something nice about him since I said something nice about my friend and my mom. I am grateful that he is sucking it up and joining a couples group once a month and going to a parenting class with me. It is all under duress, but at least he is going. That's about all that I can ask for. Though now that I've mapped out our fall tv schedule I don't know how we can get out any night of the week! :) I do have to say that we certainly don't live a life as newlyweds, but I can't believe we've been married for over 13 years. I have a close friend who may be on the brink of divorce and I'm so sad for her but also so happy that though we certainly don't have it 'made' at least we are not teetering on the edge.

I am grateful for the chiropractor, yoga class, a good clean shower and a comfy bed. I am also thrilled with the cooler weather and playing outside again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved that you're back blogging---I totally forgot about Miller's Outpost, that gave me a good chuckle. Glad the vacation was fun! I'll drop a line soon-Jen M