Thursday, July 10, 2008

I am officially crazy.

I decided to forgo trying to update every little thing on this blog that has happened in the past 5 months or so since I've written. I've frankly forgotten a lot of the details by now.
Instead, I will just put it out there to the public that I'm really thinking about getting a dog. There, I said it. I sort of mean it. I think I like the idea of having a dog, but I don't know if I would actually like a dog. I know I could never deal with a big dog, but I think we could handle a beagle. I find myself perusing petfinder.com more than I should. My kids caught me today and I felt like I was caught with porn on my computer. 'What are you looking at?' Me: 'nothing' as I try to cover the screen. 'Are you looking at dogs? Can I look at dogs? When are we getting a dog? I want that dog!' Urgh.
To make it worse, I just read "Marley and Me". Took the kids to the library last week so I tried to come up with a book that has been out awhile and would easily be found at the library. I remembered that this book has been made into a movie with Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson and will be out on Christmas day. I could have read this book in 1/2 a day. Pre-kids I would have. It took me about 4 days and I had it in my hand every free minute I could find. I read the last few chapters last night while Mark watched the Ranger game. He was cheering for the game winning home run and I had tears running down my cheeks. It was almost an ugly cry.
PS - Don't tell Mark. Not just about the almost ugly cry, but about the whole dog subject.
But- who could say no to this? http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/photoView.cgi?petid=11158252
Clearly we have a lot to do first. Backyard needs to be ready with a fence,whenever we would do that. We are pulling up old gross carpet in front of the house someday (and I mean someday in the sense of 'down-the-road-isn't-it-nice-to-dream-about-and visualize-but-not-really-in-the-any-near-future') and replacing with wood floors. Now thinking that we ought to add the den in the mix instead of getting new carpet in there. New carpet would ax any possibility of Mark agreeing to a dog. So, here we are.

I have to got to find something else to keep me busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

honesty. that is what I offer...we have 2 dogs are are HARD CORE dog people...so I'll preface it w/that. I think EVERYone needs a dog...and Marley and Me IS Duke! Totally!! But, I feel like I'd be a bad friend to not let you on the INSIDE of the truth of having a dog (just things you may not be thinking about):

- puppies are hard...our last 3 dogs were adopted from rescue and I would rec that to any new dog owner
- remember that feeling when you first had a baby?? You were tied down in new ways? Dogs do that too. You have to find good place to put them when you leave town (lots of $$$) and cant (resposibly) just leave dogs in the backyard and have someone check on them.
-beagles dig and escape, notoriously. we had 2 when i was growning up
- no matter what ANYone big/small in your house says, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE ultimately...it somehow falls into mommy jobs...there is walking (CRITICAL to dogs that most people dont do and dogs are wild, annoying), go to dr, get sick, feed, clean water bowl, clean yard, vaccuum tons more, etc. just dont jade yourself...it'll be YOU
- they are expensive
- your carpet and yard will never be the same. never.

I'd suggest keeping a friend's dog for a wkend or so to see how it feels. Its a huge adjustment...as I write, I have a big lab face on my foot...right next to the vomit stain the retriever made yesterday. They are a part of our family...but just like kids, they can NOT be underestimated...they are needy.

are you overwhelmed yet?? 8-)

OH and just for the record, I vote YES!! You need a dog...I just hate when (I can think of 3 right now) people get a dog and dont really really know all of this and then give up on them and give them away.