Today is Valentine's Day. The best thing I can say about this day is that I am ecstatic my kids are finally old enough that we don't have to make Valentine boxes and cards and all the things on Pinterest. I don't really do Valentine's Day. We never have. It's a dumb holiday summed up by the pop up drive through tent outside Kroger filled with last minute tired flowers and boring candy. No thanks.
But, it did get me to thinking about hearts. Particularly my heart, because it's all I've thought about since Christmas Day. Nothing like having to go to the ER on Christmas with a heart rate of 220 and leaving with a diagnosis of PSVT, some beta blockers, a recommendation to follow up with a cardiologist and told to stop drinking caffeine or taking Sudafed immediately. What the hell. I don't have health issues. I don't take medicine. I don't see cardiologists. And, I really enjoy my morning coffee thank you very much.
So, I basically have a rapid heart beat. Am I going to have a heart attack? No. Is this life threatening? No. 'More of an annoyance' is how my cardiologist put it. You've got that right. Right now, my heart rate is 92. Seems a bit high, but better than 220! Except I know my heart rate could sky rocket at any minute. Unprovoked. So, naturally, it's all I can think about. And, no, it is not a panic attack. I can't just take deep breaths, imagine myself on a beach and get my heart rate back down. It's more than that.
In the ER, the doc did try to bring my heart rate down with some natural methods before we had to move to medication. Unfortunately, holding my breath, bearing down and then flinging my legs to the ceiling didn't really work so we had to move to the meds. My heart rate had been at 220 for at least 30 minutes. I really wished those crazy maneuvers would have worked, because the medicine they gave me made me think I was literally going to die. The ER doc even warned me it would be really unpleasant, but it wouldn't last long. He even offered to hold my hand when he put the medicine in the IV. This guy. He was so nice. But, he was not joking about the medicine. It was that bad. For about 8 seconds I wasn't sure if I could breathe, blink my eyes, or move my head. I just sunk into the hospital bed. Poor Mark was just standing in the corner, holding my purse, wondering how we got here. And, then it was over. My heart rate was 110. They watched me for about 45 minutes and I got dressed and we left. Like it was nothing.
What causes this? The ER doc said I have probably always had this electrical issue in my heart, but it had never manifested itself before besides heart palpitations or a skipped heart beat from time to time. Yeah it could have been the stress of the holidays, the fact that I was sick and taking Sudafed and had been given 2 steroid shots the day before. So, no more Sudafed and no more caffeine until I could see a heart doctor. And not just anyone. One that is an Electrophysiologist. Who even knew that was a thing. Or even how to spell it?
As much as I do love a good cup of coffee, it was not hard to quit drinking caffeine after that episode. I don't ever want that to happen again.
I met with the Electrophysiologist a few weeks ago and he took the time to explain the entire workings of the heart to me. He even went so far as to draw a picture of the heart and the whole electrical system. I'm telling you if you don't believe in God after learning about all the inner workings of a heart, then there is no hope for you. I am, by far, the least religious person you know, but after the doctor drew the chambers of the heart and the electrical system and how it all works together, I just had to take a minute and be amazed by it all. So, apparently, when I was created, I was given a little extra electrical highway. No big deal. Easy to fix with a cardiac ablation. No need to take meds for life and just worry about when my heart rate will shoot out of the sky. Just a simple ablation (through my leg!) of the sideways electrical path and I'll be good as new.
I haven't scheduled this procedure yet, but plan to do it soon. I'm really not worried about the procedure itself. In the meantime, though, I am utterly obsessed with my heart rate. I take my pulse all the time and then figured out I was calculating it wrong! Because, math. So, then I found an app that will take your heart rate for you, but you only get so many free and then have to pay for the Premium version. I'm not paying for Premium!
I woke up one Saturday night at 3 am and my heart rate was 105. I want to be asleep at 3 am, not taking my heart rate. Why is my heart rate so high? Do I take the medicine the ER doc gave me? But, he said to take it if my heart rate is above 140. Do I try some of those 'natural maneuvers', but what if I do it wrong and make my heart rate worse? 105 isn't outrageous, but it's not comfortable especially when you are trying to sleep! After about 30 minutes of debate in my head and waking up Mark to just TAKE MY PULSE ALREADY, I ended up taking the beta blocker and my heart rate was back in the mid-80s the next day. Alcohol can also cause your heart to race because of course it can, so I figured that's where the problem came from. Now, I find myself having to cut back on wine. I'm super fun to be around. No caffeine, no alcohol and oh yeah, no gluten. But, that is a whole other story.
Since I was pretty sure I was not getting an accurate heart rate 90 times a day, I finally decided to invest in an Apple watch. I can take my heart rate at my leisure. And, believe me I do and if you happen to be around, it's pretty likely I'll tell you what it is. It hasn't gotten up over 100 again unless I am working out. By the way, tracking workouts and getting texts on your watch is pretty freaking cool. I guess one good thing did come out of this whole ordeal. I'm trying not to be obsessive about it and just go on about my business, but it is constantly in the back of my mind. Even though the ER doc was nice and held my hand, I don't ever want my heart rate to be 220 again. I never posted about it on Facebook, because Mark and I have this rule that we will never post a photo of us in a hospital gown, because just No. So, I'll just be here taking my pulse until I get that ablation done some time in April. And, I hope for everyone's sake, the doc tells me that I can go back to drinking wine. And coffee.

1 comment:
Thank you for sharing this, your people need to know about you... and love on your BIG heart! Keep me posted, please. <3.
Post a Comment