Monday, September 22, 2003

I'm sure everyone knows by now - Brody Luke is here!!! I went to my dr. appt. on Thurs. very haggered with my bag packed for the hospital. I complained well enough because my dr. sent me over to the hospital to be induced right after my appt. That was at 11:00 and Brody arrived at 4:41 pm. Won't go into the details of labor, but it all went really fast and really well. Unfortunately, Brody had a hard time maintaining his blood sugar level and we didn't get to see him until really late that night. Then, they moved him to NICU in the middle of the night because it dropped so low that he needed an IV. When we were talking to the dr.'s it all made sense what was happening and we understood that it wasn't a critical situation, but it's hard to explain to everyone else exactly what was going on. Apparently, it's normal for bigger babies (he weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs. 6 oz. - do you see why I was complaining at the end?) and some just take longer than others to be able to handle maintaining their levels. So, he stayed in NICU the entire time, which was a bummer for us because we didn't get to see him much. But, he was off the IV within 7 hours and just had to have his heel pricked every hour for about 24 hrs. Poor boy -his poor feet are tore up! The NICU nurses and the neonatologist worked their magic to get all his stuff done so he could go home with us on Sat.

We've been doing well since we've been home. He eats A LOT (already up to 3 oz a feeding). Aubrey loves giving him kisses and helping us out. She's being a great big sister! I'm feeling ok - trying not to over do it. My mom is helping us out this week. In fact, I'm supposed to be napping right now while she cares for Brody, but I can't! I layed down for about 30 min. and now I'm hungry. I know she'll get on me for not sleeping if I go out there now, so for now, I'm just staying in my room. I'll go get a snack in minute. I'm sure chaos will set in soon and I won't be able to blog much, but that's it for now.......

No comments: